Thursday, February 20, 2014

It's a RECORD!!

There is scary stuff chasing you.

It IS a record: I've run 3 days in a row!!

I did REAL running-not just from a spider, because hitherto, that was my main motivation for running.  It was also my motivation for practicing my "straight-up-and-sideways-about-10-feet" magic jumping skills. The other time I ran was out of my mom's basement. When I was little, I was convinced that demons lived in the crawlspace beneath the stairs, as well as in the closet in the sewing room that was down there. (No doubt this information came from an older sibling-just like my rampant arachnophobia. Older siblings are such fun.) Later, I saw the biggest spiders of my life in that basement. Therefore, when I grew older and more rational, I did not change my behavior one iota. I still sprint the hell up out of there no matter what. Something is always right behind me-I firmly believe that. Mom is considering remodeling the house into a one-story, and I fully approve. For now though, we can just be comfortable in the knowledge that at any given time, my best running speeds could be clocked coming up the stairs out of the clutches of Satan's Lair at my mom's house. 

Here is where I am so far in this formal running thing...

15 minute mile-I'll take it!!
DAY 1  
Ran for the first time on purpose in a long time.
Ran in the dark to save the masses from seeing all this fantasticness
flopping around and gasping mightily for pure, sweet air.
-Did my best imitation of "Pete Rose meets Concrete" when I 
tripped over a downed tree-branch. (Was thankful for the cover of darkness. Hard to even swear when you can't breathe anyway).
-Was so freaking proud of myself that I made it a whole mile without dying that I started singing "Eye of the Tiger", and my neighbor tested my "straight-up-and-sideways-10ft-magic jumping skills when he clapped. (Must remember the cover of darkness hides scary shit, too).


Shaving time off!
DAY 2
Wonder of wonders, ran on purpose two days in a row. Normally I tell myself I need a day of rest in between runs, and then like a year and a half later I go on my second run. MAJOR triumph here.
-Got assaulted and chased by a cat. I was running past some black-berry brambles and this enormous black and white spawn of the devil jumped out from the tangle and attacked me!  Little bastard, I could get THAT treatment at home. It chased me about 20 yards and gave up. 
-I shaved almost a minute off my time!!  Whoo hooo!!  I blame the sprint away from the evil cat...


I might get better at this...
DAY 3
Everyone remain calm!!!  I ran THREE days in a row-and no one was chasing me. There wasn't a ball involved, I wasn't having zombie delusions, and I wasn't sleep-running (although that will become a concern down the road if this running thing becomes a habit. But I'll save my sleep-walking stories for another post).
-I TOTALLY ran faster and longer, and didn't have to walk as much to keep my heart from exploding. 
-There were no notable run-ins with either branches or felines, although I may have stepped in something suspicious-really hoping it was leaves.

I'm feeling good, I'm burning calories-and my mood is improving quite a bit. Plus, I have this sense of accomplishment I haven't had in a long time. Last night I even went to the gym AFTER my run to do more stuff. I'm not ready to admit running could be a good thing-my knees are still telling me I'm a fat jackass, and I have a stubborn streak a mile wide...but I'm willing to continue to see where this running thing leads. Thank you to everyone who has been encouraging and supportive. 70lbs from now I'll even let you say "I told you so."
And for those of you keeping score from the Bandanna-wagon, here they are! (Remember, it's one bandanna a workout, and then I'll start over again when I hit 50-who is joining me on this go-round?)


2 comments:

  1. Cool on the 3 days/bandanas!! Keep it up (by the way I laughed out loud reading this- loved the descriptions)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading. :) I like bright, colorful things, and the bandannas give me a bright, colorful record of something that could otherwise be total drudgery.

    ReplyDelete